What is Couples Counseling?
Couples counseling is a great place to learn and practice communication skills helpful for more authentic and compassionate sharing, listening, and empathizing. The goals in couples counseling are yours: What would you like your relationship to be like? Learn how to have healthier, more mature, and more satisfying intimate relationships. Love and be loved more fully than ever before.
Stephen places a strong emphasis on active listening, Non-Violent Communication (a.k.a. Compassionate Communication), Imago therapy and Gottman relationship theories.
In couples counseling Stephen focuses on:
- Encouraging both partners to envision the relationship they truly want.
- Creating a safe framework for doing deep work.
- Facilitating healing and growth.
- Learning to take care of each other without neglecting one’s self.
- Bringing awareness to any co-dependent tendencies in the relationship.
- Building the strength necessary to make positive change.
- Learning how to have healthier and more satisfying relationships.
Resources for couples:
Non-Violent Communication : Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D. : www.cnvc.org
Getting the Love You Want (Imago Therapy) : Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. & Helen LaKelly Hunt, Ph.D. : www.gettingtheloveyouwant.com
The Gottman Theory For Making Relationships Work : Drs. John & Julie Gottman : www.gottman.com/about-gottman-method-couples-therapy
Feel free to get in touch with me.
If you would like to find out how I can help, please send me a note.